TOEFL - iBT
The Test of English as a Foreign Language™ (TOEFL®) measures the ability of nonnative speakers of English to use and understand English as it is spoken, written, and heard in college and university settings.
In 2005, ETS introduced the TOEFL Internet-based test (iBT). The TOEFL Internet-based Test (TOEFL iBT) tests all four language skills that are important for effective communication: speaking, listening, reading, and writing. The test helps students demonstrate that they have the English skills needed for success.
Please view and/or download the information on the TOEFL iBT web site at www.ets.org/toefl regarding test scheduling procedures, test fees, and identification requirements. You can download forms needed to make a testing appointment (test scheduling form; voucher request form). Practice questions for the TOEFL iBT is also available on the TOEFL Web site.
Test takers can register the TOEFL iBT online at www.ets.org/toefl/learners/ibt/register.html.
Registration by mail is also possible by using the paper form in the TOEFL iBT Bulletin that can be downloaded on the TOEFL website at www.ets.org/toefl.
Test takers should check the TOEFL Web site at www.ets.org/toefl/nextgen for the list of test centers and the testing schedule for the TOEFL iBT test.
The TOEFL iBT is administered on fixed dates set by Educational Testing Service.
TOEFL Internet-Based Test
(includes 1 examinee score record and 4 score reports sent to institutions designated when you register)
Late Registration Fee
Reinstatement of Canceled iBT Scores
Additional Score Report Requests (per recipient)
$20 each (U.S.)
Preferred Forms of Payment
- Credit card (required for online registration) — American Express, Discover, JCB, MasterCard, or VISA
- Electronic check (e-check) — drawn on a U.S.-based bank
- Check in U.S. dollars or any other acceptable currency listed below, made payable to "ETS-TOEFL iBT."
- Money order
The new TOEFL iBT test consists of four sections: Reading, Listening, Speaking, and Writing. The entire test is approximately four hours long.
- Instructions for answering questions are given within each section; there is no computer tutorial
- TOEFL iBT is not computer adaptive. Each test taker receives the same range of questions
- Test takers can take notes throughout the entire test. At the end of testing all notes are collected and destroyed at the test center
- For the Speaking section, test takers speak into microphone, and their responses are digitally recorded and sent to the ETS Online Scoring Network
- For the Writing section, test takers must type their responses, and their responses are sent to the ETS Online Scoring Network
|Test Section||Number of Question||Timing|
|Reading||3-5 passages, 12-14 questions each||60-100 minutes|
|Listening||4-6 lectures, 6 questions each
2-3 conversations. 5 questions each
|Speaking||6 tasks: 2 independent and 4 integrated||20 minutes|
1 integrated task
Scores can be viewed on screen upon completion of test.
Scores can be canceled prior to viewing your scores.
Scores are mailed to you and the institute(s) of your choice within 10-15 working days.
Scores are saved at ETS and can be requested for a two-year period.
- If you register to take the test at the University of Houston, please arrive 30 minutes before your scheduled appointment to complete the registration process.
- Assigned seats on user-friendly computers.
- Tutorial is available prior to the exam.
- Time can be displayed on computer while you are being tested.
- Scratch paper is provided on the writing section only.
- Mandatory 5-minute break during the test.
- You can only take the test once every 30 days.
- Your valid passport or Alien Card is required in order to be admitted to the exam.
Driver`s license or ID Cards will not be accepted.
(Read page 12 and Appendix B in the TOEFL bulletin for more information about acceptable photo bearing identification.)
A complete TOEFL iBT sample test can be viewed free of charge at www.ets.org/toefl/nextgen. There is also an online tour with sample test questions from each of the four sections.
Practice TOEFL iBT tests are available at TOEFL Practice Online at www. ets.org/toeflpractice. Candidates can get access to Speaking samples, discussion boards, and daily study tips. After completing the practice tests, members receive instant scores and performance feedback. Additional practice is also available for Listening, Reading, and Writing sections.