Accuplacer - Arithmetic
If you plan to take the Accuplacer as part of the Texas Success Initiative (TSI), please choose the Texas Success Initiative page.
The ACCUPLACER System is computer-adaptive, multiple-choice tests. Test scores are provided immediately after testing.
The ACCUPLACER System includes nine computer-adaptive, multiple-choice tests.
The five core tests include Reading Comprehension, Sentence Skills, Arithmetic, Elementary Algebra, and College-Level Mathematics.
There are four Levels of English Proficiency (LOEP) tests designed to assess the English skills of students whose first language is not English. These tests include LOEP Reading Skills, LOEP Sentence Meaning, LOEP Language Use, and LOEP Listening.
The length of time varies from one to three hours depending on each student. However, once you have selected and confirmed your answer, you cannot return to that question.
The 17 arithmetic questions administered by the ACCUPLACER Tests are divided into three types.
- Operations with whole numbers and fractions: topics included in this category are addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, recognizing equivalent fractions and mixed numbers, and estimating.
- Operations with decimals and percents: topics include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division with decimals. Percent problems, recognition of decimals, fraction and percent equivalencies, and problems involving estimation are also given.
- Applications and problem solving: topics include rate, percent, and measurement problems, simple geometry problems, and distribution of a quantity into its fractional parts.
You may register online for the ACCUPLACER test at http://testing.las.uh.edu or come by the University Testing Services located in room 204 of the Student Service Center 1. You must register at least 48 hours before the schedule test time and day. All registrations are on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Fees for the ACCUPLACER tests (as of August 26, 2013):
- $10.00 for Essay (TXWrite Placer)
- $10.00 each for Elementary Algebra, Reading Comprehension, and Sentence Skills
- $10.00 each for College Level Math, Arithmetic, and LOEP tests.
The registration fee is non-refundable and payable to University of Houston at the time of registration by credit card, cash, check or money order (currently enrolled UH students will be billed).
You will receive your scores immediately after testing.
If you have questions about a test item, you may write to:
The College Board™
ACCUPLACER™ Test Development
45 Columbus Ave.
New York, NY 10023